Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Thoughts on new school year



After my last blog on preparing for school, I was listening to a program on the tele as I was working on a class website for a friend. They had a doctor discussing the anxiety factor that comes with the beginning of a new school year.

The doctor stated that parents were more prone to the anxiety than the children, but that this anxiety could easily affect the children and make them anxious, also. I think it was the Today Show.

It made extremely good sense. The doctor suggested that parents contain their stressing, since it is not good for adult or child. It's a part of life that is necessary. I was glad to hear that the majority of parents do enjoy the summer bonding with their children, and the percentage of parents that can't wait for their children to return to school was small. I know I always dreaded when my daughter had to return to school. The daily grind took away family time, and the dreaded school schedule was put into place once again. I do know that, if I had it to do over, I would have home schooled her at least until middle school.

They did discuss the fact, that for the first month or two, the schedule should be fairly rigid. If it becomes a burden, taking away from quality time, parents should ease up. I have to agree with that.

New school years are a part of life. Not all can or want to home school, and that is fine. But just don't stress over it and create stress for the children. For those that are glad to see their children away at school for six plus hours a day, I have my own opinion, just as I do for working parents that have no choice but still hate losing that family time. But I'm am sure the family time left is quality time.

For the children that are sent to school as soon as the doors open each morning, and then remain after for any and all after school programs that can last until 5 or 6 o'clock, I say that I am sorry your life is this way. That is a long time away from home and family.

I have digressed as usual, but parents don't let another new school year stress you, and talk with your child about anxiety he or she may be feeling.

My daughter is now twenty, so I don't go through that anymore. I do have a great niece starting first grade, and the schedule is so hard on my niece and her husband, as they both work full-time and hard hours. They also have a three month old son that adds to the daily scheduling confusion.

Love to all of the children and parents that are getting ready to tackle another school year. Leave me some thoughts!

No comments: